Never Been Seen | Science Museum Group Collection is a lovely rabbit hole! A marvellous idea.
Winning the Internet is a data-driven newsletter of links in other newsletters. Currently sourcing from 85 awesome newsletters.
Interesting way of getting the big links.
Reclaim Cloud – Reclaim Your Adventure! looks interesting. Might poke around in the beta, but probably way over my head, needs and pay grade…
This was a fascinating podcast. Matt Mullenweg had spoken of an ambition to get WordPress to 80% of the web. Heinemeier Hansson took him to task on twitter and they ended up in a podcast.
An example of civil discussion and disagreement on the internet. Moving off twitter to a better medium.
Although they did not resolve the central concern they touched on many points around control and ownership on the web.
It gave me a little insight into the scale of the web. Left me feeling pretty naive.
A few mentions of capitalism had me wondering what a socialist web would look like?
First read of Notes From An Emergency and resisting a tweetstorm of oneshots. Will be re-reading.
- They comment on other people’s posts.
- They like other people’s posts.
- They share them.
Click through to see all 12 points from Dave Winer who should know, having blogged as long than anyone.
From a education PoV good advice for reading and responding to pupils post, but applicable everywhere.
This is a experiment, I’ve generated a list of my recent (last 6 weeks) Pinboard: bookmarks tagged ‘facebook’ and post them below.
This will hopefully be a useful reference for me and perhaps others.
I’ve been thinking about Facebook quite a bit recently. I still only visit occasionally and feel fairly negative about it. When I do visit I often see interesting things about folk I know, but not enough to make me visit more often. I also recognise that it can be used for really interesting projects for example the EAST Project we talked about on on Radio #EDUtalk.
The video, linked to by Alan, held my attention for the full hour (I find it hard to watch online videos for more than a few minutes).
- Facebookistan english version – YouTube
- What do you mean “If” Facebook were a country?
- The secret rules of the internet | The Verge
- The Laborers Who Keep Dick Pics and Beheadings Out of Your Facebook Feed | WIRED
- Are you being catfished? | open thinking
- Facebook abandons free speech
- Seth’s Blog: Read more blogs
- Facebook has an identity crisis – and it’s messing with democracy – ClintLalonde.net
- Facebook Schools MOOCs on Engagement ~ Stephen Downes
- Magic, Misdirection, Sleight of Hand, Facebook
- Timothy Boostrom is Not Real — Medium
- Facebook is blowing us off
The Featured Images is Soild links | SONY DSC | Bernard Spragg. NZ | Flickr used under a public domain license. Stamped with the stamped attributor version of flickr cc attribution bookmarklet maker.