I took a short walk round the moor behind Old Kilpatrick this afternoon. Using the shure mic with dead cat on my phone. A test in fairly breezy conditions. Gain right down and mic beside mouth.
The other day I took the opportunity to test out my new Shure MV88 mic (Christmas present) with it’s dead cat. It was not a particularly windy day but there was a stiff breeze higher up the hill whee I recorded this.
I think the mic worked very well I would have expected it to be too windy without it. I am not sure how much is down to the Shure and how much to the dead cat.
Using the mic you need to use the Motiv Audio app if you want to set the mic. I used the Mono Cardioid pattern with the gain turned up. I left the wind reduction off.
I think that microcasts should really be one take rather than multitrack, but keep getting tempted to edit. The Motiv app allows you to pause audio and then record more, but I wonder if that would be lost if there was a large time lapse, other apps switched to etc.
Map and a few photos: Glen Douglas Trio 4-1-2018
fn1. Ferrite only supports 3 tracks in basic version. ↩
Recorded along the Forth and Clyde canal.
A bunch of parakeets were settling down for the night in Victoria Park this evening. A quick recording with a bit is speach at the end. 🎙
It has taken me a while to get this one together. I am still experimenting with recording on the hoof. This time I decided to record a series of short clips in Voice Memos. the intention was to string them together quickly with Ferrite. I found that a bit footery on the phone and ran into the three track for free limit.
Returned to the problem on the iPad and Hokusai. Only took a few minutes. Both ferrite and Hokusai are made by the same developer! I think I might read Difference: Between Hokusai Audio Editor and Ferrite Recording Studio — Wooji Juice I need to get a bit more practice with these apps.
Another experimental microcast. I recorded this on a walk last week using the iPhone audio memos app. Just kept a memo open and recorded fragments on the go. Unfortunately at some point I hit done and when I added more, without looking, I recorded over the start.
On editing in ferrite the app crashed everytime. So I switched to Hokusai 2 cut the start pasted it to the end and then levelled in Auphonic. Finally back in Ferrite I added the intro (recorded in Ferrite and run through Auphonic).
This if far too complicated. I also need a dead cat from the phone to cut down on wind noise.
Audio notes recorded beside the Allander Water. The first part of my walk today.
I was intending using this to write notes but this might serve the same purpose.
Episode 15 of an irregular microcast.