I started to write the odd weekly recap of my view of micro.blog and it misfired in a very confusing, to me, way. The post went through to the micro.blog app as a titled post. I had kept the character count down to under 280. The post was a status post. It should have appeared in all of its glory on micro.blog.
I looked at it for a while and then headed over to the micro.blog slack community to bother @manton. Only after that I looked again and thought it through.
My script that removes titles in RSS from my status posts if the post <280 chars didn’t account for emoji being counted as multiple chars. It wasn’t till I’d posted to slack that I figured this out.
I’ve figure out how to work round this, replacing emoji with one character using a slight change to this function from @mdhughes. I’ll probably have to wait until next week to post another recap and see if it really will work.
I’ve updated this gist: functions that have do with micro.blog and microblogging that live in my child theme’s functions.php
It is getting time for a rethink of how the tubes are connected here, I need to simplify a little I think.