My first post here since April! I missed the whole of the burgeon experience and have done only a handful of daily creates. I am not saying sorry, I have made a few artefacts and experimented with some stuff that is pretty #ds106. There is no really useful instructions in this post, but links for the willing.
I’ve been meaning to post about this for a while, I did a few tests in June and tweeted a bit about it. It is pretty cool:
Videogrep is a python script that searches through dialog in videos and then cuts together a new video based on what it finds. Basically, it’s a command-line “supercut” generator.
I’ve not even scratched the surface of videogrep, there are some pretty amazing ideas on the link.
I had a wee bit of difficulty installing videogrep, and had, as I recall, to wander round googling to get things running. The videos produced lacked sound, but running them through miro video converter fixed that. I am guessing if you are command line savvy enough the code could be adjusted.
Here is a supercut for Barksdale in episode 1 of the wire.
I’ve been a big fan of the wire so hoped to throw myself into some ds106 activity, turns out re-watching series one I mostly get caught up in enjoying it and following the plot, not much analysis going on here. Hopefully I get some fun before the series is out.
I am not sure what week it is in the Headless 13 season of DS106!
After moaning about google plus, I’ve used it more than any other way of keeping hold of the ds106 tale. I still do not like the locked in nature of plus, but have to admit is it easy to use.
There are a lot of tutorials and explanations about glitching online, but I just messed about with the easiest way, this involves opening an image with a text editor and making some random changes.
I got quickly fed-up with the length of time it took to do this and though I could make a SuperCard project to automate the process, allow me to quickly create glitches, I then though it might be interesting to create some gifs from the glitches and added that to the project.
At the same time I was paying attention to Rochelle Lockridge’s GIFAChrome Camera. Rochelle was making some lovely careful gifs and wrapping them in a ‘custom film’. I decided to borrow the frame for my horrible careless gif changing GIFAChrome to GLITCHaCHROME.
I added the GLITCHaCHROME to the SuperCard project which has resulted in the Simple Glitch application.
The application is pretty simple, it should run on Mac OSX 10.6.8 or later, mostly tested on 10.9.
There are no real instructions in the application but it should be obvious how it works. I consider this version 0.4 beta, but have no real plans for further development unless I get another idea.