The other day I was messing about with some web pages inspired by the Universe app and was reminded of the cubomania stuff.
I’ve updated the Cubomania Gif! page so that you can, choose the number of slices, speed of the gif and the ability to add a frame of the original image. You can also make static jpg versions on the same page.
I am attracted to the random nature of cubomania, interestingly if you search for images online many look as if they have been rearranged with some taste as opposed to randomly.
Featured image on this post was from a tweet by Theo created with the webpage.
A couple of weeks ago I started playing with combining images in the browser. There are several ways to go about this, I found a nice script to blend two images on a canvas and gave that a shot. It worked well and gave interesting results.
I though that using the Flickr API I could gather a list of images and randomly blend them two at a time.
Flickr’s API will return a json list. I started using the flickr.interestingness.getList which produced some interesting (sic) combinations. However when I started to get the license of the photos most were not labled for reuse.
I switched to using a standard search (flickr.photos.search ) which allowed me to search for license that allowed reuse.
I also switched to using CSS and background-blend-mode, this allows you to have multiple images set on a background and blend them.
On interesting this was the change I noticed when I swapped from the interestingness list to a search for creative commons images ordered by interestingness-desc. The images became more subtle and less HDRish, i think thy are more interesting and less glossy. An unusual win for Creative commons.
Over in DS106 land the page was used for a daily create:
I’ve not got a vine account so just make a 6 second stop motion video. Snapped some photos with my iPhone (sitting on a lego mount), stitched together with the 5secondApp and exported as a video. I had to speed it up a bit to get 6 seconds, here is a 17 second version.
The idea of Cowboy G-Men is a a wee bit mind boggling. This is a really badly edited file. Quick & dirty. I did run a quick fliter over the cover to try and match the Doctor’s face, but didn’t spend enough time on it to do a good job.
I was trying to hint to other folk that they should license their DS106 content to make it review and remix friendly.
The stream for the daily create has been pretty active and it is great to see all of the different responses. I am not sure I’ll get to doing much more on #western106 but I am certainly enjoying the odd 15 minutes on the daily create. Thanks to Alan (and Mariana) for the continual work on organising the fun.