In a continued attempted to find meaning in Prisoner106 I am continuing to analyse the first reel of the surveillance footage by various means.
I had previously downloaded Videogrep a tool for making supercut videos from video and subtitle (.srt) files.
First I had to find a subtitle file for the video. As usual with these things google is helpful. Adding the date of the video, 1967 and eng to the search helped. I could not find one for the dvds I had acquired, but got one for a cd set.
The first run through of the tool
python videogrep.py --input ~/Desktop/the\ prisoner/the-prisoner-ep-1.m4v --search 'six'
Threw a bunch of errors that I could not understand. I headed over to the other confusing village that is github to look for clues. I did a bit of googling too. Eventually I decided just to download a fork of videogrep,habi/videogrep and see what happens. As I had all the dependencies installed I just ran the new version. This did give me a video, but confusingly nothing matched, the timings were out.
It looks like the STR file I had did not match the DVD. I’ve had this problem in the past and usually failed to fix it. But I gave Subtitle ReSync Basic from squixz.com a try and seemed to match things up.
Back to videogrep which ran through its ‘stuff’ and spat out a video, it did seem a bit short so I looked at the output:
[+] Search term 'six' was found in 3 places.
[+] Creating clips.
547.155 to 549.109: Woman Is your number six?
1429.498 to 1432.741: Please go to number six -adjustment is needed.
2195.285 to 2198.724: - Yours is six. - I'm not a number. I'm a person.
Opening the srt file in a text editor I just replaced all the occurrences of Six with six, I should have used the regEx for six or Six or case insensitive, which I’ve done before but I’ve forgotten how and my Internet connection is currently very slow.
I figured out the case for the second supercut: python videogrep.py --input /Users/john/Desktop/the\ prisoner\ rips/the-prisoner-ep-1.srt --search 'number|Number' -p 1000 the -p flag pads the segments (in miliseconds)
I don’t think my SRT files is properly matched with the video, hopefully I’ll be able to find or make a better match from some subsequent reels.
Meanwhile some image analysis is getting results into the mind of number 6:
Given I want to watch this on my commute I am afraid the first thing I did was rip a few episodes to m4v files. HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder works well, it prompted for another install to remove drm and I just followed through with that. I don’t feel that makes me a bad person.
After watching the first episode I was compelled to knock out a few quick gifs.
I used the usual method, open in MPEG Streamclip. Set in and out points. Press cmd-t. Export to image sequence. Open the first image in FireWorks (CS3). Drag the other files into the FW window. Open he Frames window. Select all the layers and choose distribute to frames from the frames window menu. Mess around. Export to MP3.
I’ve started exploring episode 1 from the terminal, relying and developing techniques that I’ve posted about here. I am getting quite interested in the fun that can be had through random and unexpected results and the ability to generate different files & views at a cracking rate. Instead of working hard to produce a single artifact this will allow me t oexplore the
A lot of this relies on various command line applications that I’ve installed over the years in a fairly messy way. I tend to try things that, if they go wrong, leave me googling like mad.
I am just going to note what I’ve played with so far and not give details of installing the software for now. Much can be installed on a mac via Homebrew.
ffmpeg -i the-prisoner-ep-1.m4v -r 1 -f image2 images/image-%4d.jpg
I now have 2938 jpgs to play with.
Recently I’ve been interested in averaging images so into the image folder, make an average folder and: ls *.jpg | xargs -n 10 sh -c 'convert "$0" "$@" -average average/"$0" '
Which gives me 294 files, each an average of 10 of the original jpgs.
I googled most of that code, the average command is part of ImageMagick.
To my mind these look rather lovely losing the clean 60’s lines of the original for something rather more dreamy and dark:
Duplicate the folder move, in the terminal into the new one and: sips --resampleWidth 240 *.jpg Gives some thumbnails: Averages which I’ll perhaps figure out what to do with later.
Next up I moved on to supercuts and gifboard, but I’ll leave the reporting of that to another post.